woensdag 12 mei 2010

Down the Gold Road

Sometimes I help out the Bluffwatchers at Thunder Bluff, doing a shift of patrols to ensure our mesa is protected. Today however after checking in with Hunter Ragetotem there was no need for an extra patrol but he did have another job for me to attend to. Bringing supplies to the crossroads's innkeeper Plainswind. "They're due tomorrow" he adds as I walk up towards Tal the Wind Rider Master.

"No patrol today, you mean I got dressed up for nothing?"

I deceided to take the unspoken advice and bring the supplies to the Crossroads by land instead of by air. It has been too long since I enjoyed the atmosphere of this land, our pearl hidden in the middle of Kalimdor.

Before long I find the rolling green plains of Mulgore making way for the goldbrown savannah of the barrens as I wander into "Camp T" as it is often referred to. I hold a moment as I reach the T-intersection just outside the camp. The small totem giving directions, that's the way I found out where's what in Azeroth as a young Tauren. "Time for the last bit of this journey" as I turn north, towards the Crossroads.

Once more down the Gold Road

As I start moving a fresh breeze of barren winds hits me simultaneously as a pack of gazelle cross the road. I vividly remember the first time I walked over these stones, it felt as a rite of ascenscion, leaving the safety of Mulgore behind.

I like it here. Even tough the Barrens has more then its share of problems, like for instance the quillboars of Bramblescar on my right, it's a place where many a horde learned his or her ways.

When I cross the bridge meaning the end of the Southern Gold Road I see that life still thrives in this savannah. Plainstriders are everywhere and even more so, raptors!

Many of us, me included, learned the hard way that raptors seldom fight alone

In the distance the treetops of the Stagnant Oasis become visible. While looking like a safe haven from afar, when examined up close the Barren's oasis tend to be crawling with Kolkar.

Deceitfull tranquil appeal, but once inside look out!

On my left, more trees become visible, this time from the Lushwater Oasis where the Labyrinth known as the Wailing Caverns is formed in a maze of caverns in the mountain.

I wonder how it goes with Naralex and his attempt to restore the Barrens

As the walk goes on I can see the tower of the crossroads appear in the distance and a nostlagic smile appears on my face. A few steps more and I see the guardtower appear. It's home to Darsok who send me off to deal with the harpy epidemic.

"The only good harpy is a hamstringed harpy!" - Steamynose

Entering the crossroads I make my way to the inn as once again my eyes fall upon the directional totem and the pointer east says "Ratchet". Along the road to Ratchet Humar the Pridelord, a pristine black lion rules the savannah.

Probably the last thing many a unexpecting traveller has seen

Ratchet itself is a small porttown where the goblins mostly do their own business, tinkering with mad engineering devices and extorting the visistors from their money. What mostly bugs them are nearby pirates and anyone looking for a white feet with the local merchants should not be shy to take a few yarr-yelling seabooters down.

Even tough the life of a pirate usually ends pretty grim, they seem to have no issue finding new recruits, Then again neither do the goblins have trouble finding mercs so it balances out pretty well.

Slightly off the coast lies Fray Island. Being a warrior I went there on a trial, or an "affray" as they call it. It's an interesting test for a warrior and you learn there that sometimes the best defence is a good offense.

The second time I set foot there was during a fishing extravaganza, it's also a great place to fish in peace and quiet with the exception of arms clattering every now and then when a warrior stops by.

Home of Klannoc Macleod the Islander

A bit more south from the pirates is the only human foothold in the Northern Barrens, Northwatch Hold. I once assisted in the escape of a prisoner of theirs, Gilthares Firebough. What I recall mostly is their strong defence and tenacity. Even tough they are considered the enemy, as a warrior they earned my respect.

Human architecture, not pretty to look at, but quite effective

I blink when I realize I've been staring at the directional totem for the last few minutes while my mind's been drifting off. Time to hand in these supplies and call it a day.

Delivery for innkeeper Plainswind!


This little story is part of Disciplinary Action's 11th Hour Challenge.

1 opmerking:

  1. Oh, such a good job with the area and challenge! You really managed to capture the feel of the area, and I love the screenshots. Plus your tauren is just so *cute* :)

    Werkelijk aardig verhaal!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen